The Legal English Manual
Barwrite® Press is proud to be the publisher of The Legal English Manual, Second Edition for the U.S.
International legal practitioners, LLM candidates, law students, and other legal professionals in countries all over the world must increasingly use the English language every day in their legal work.
“In today’s international legal practice, having to work in English is inescapable. However, this can be challenging for those who are not native speakers of English. The Legal English Manual is a valuable resource.”
— Joel Lee, Associate Professor, Faculty of Law, National University of Singapore
The Legal English Manual gives global practitioners a one-stop source for technical legal language and commonly used phrases in 14 legal practice areas. It is not a textbook, it is a handbook. It was prepared by experienced and native English-speaking lawyers for an audience of lawyers, prospective practitioners, and other legal professionals. The book provides professional legal English, including both U.S. and U.K. terminology, practice-oriented examples, and sample documents for use in daily practice.
English has become the lingua franca of international commerce, science, computing, and law. Even non-Anglo-American companies often choose English for international negotiations and agreements. For better or for worse, the use of English in international commerce and international law is inescapable. The ability to use legal English competently and confidently has become a requirement for lawyers working in an international environment.
The Legal English Manual includes:
• Practical charts featuring common professional terminology for both the U.S. and the U.K., and practice-oriented examples of usage across 14 practice areas.
• Detailed overview, explanations, and tips for drafting contracts in English.
• Practical examples of legal documents, appropriate expressions for practical situations, and customizable templates with explanations.
• Tips for legal writing, including e-mails, client correspondence, and legal memoranda.
• Checklists for client presentations, consultations, contract negotiations, interviews, and more.
The Legal English Manual comes from Lawbility, an experienced professional language training provider. Its team of international legal experts and practitioners, linguists, and legal English coaches has structured the book three ways. It provides a legal focus (detailed overview of legal terminology), a language focus (examples of professional usage), and a practical focus (common situations arising in legal practice). The Legal English Manual will aid lawyers everywhere to practice law confidently in English.
Watch for publication in the United States, available fall, 2017 on Amazon.com!